You are free to make use of W&H’s profound applications and technology know-how not only for new equipment but also for retrofit solutions and upgrading of older blown film lines. Our engineers will be happy to help you optimize your VAREX blown film line as well as extrusion equipment from other manufacturers.
Increased output and better quality at a reasonable price is a goal of every blown film manufacturer. Our experience at Windmöller & Hölscher is that it’s not always necessary to invest in a new line in order to achieve higher output levels.
Often retrofitting an existing machine is all that’s needed. Experts in W&H’s Retrofits Department specialize in modernizing existing equipment, for example retrofitting a blown film line with the latest air ring technology.
1. PROCONTROL TS operator console and OPTIFIL PLUS process automation
2. Gravimetric resin metering and throughput control
3. Plastifying units (extruders, screws, etc.)
4. MAXICONE dies
5. MULTICOOL air rings to increase output in conjunction with patented gauge profile controllers (OPTIFIL P2K, P3K)
6. VARIOCAGE film sizing unit
7. Thickness gauges (contact, non-contact, traversing)
8. Haul-off units and appropriate components
9. Winder add-ons
From Resin to Melt
The plastifying section is the core element to produce superb quality film. By optimizing the internal bubble cooling system or retrofitting new dies for 1 to 11 layers with diameters ranging from 10 mm to 900 mm, old extrusion lines can be upgraded to allow for applications from HDPE to barrier film.
High Output Requires Good Cooling
It takes efficient cooling to achieve high output and perfect film quality. The answer is the MULTICOOL high efficiency air ring. MULTICOOL provides notable increases in output, while at the same time ensuring exceptionally tight film tolerances. Air rings are available as retrofits for all W&H and other dies.
In addition, the modular concept allows for easy retrofitting and upgrading to a controlled air ring with OPTIFIL P2K (OPTIFIL P3) or for retrofitting a MULTICOOL D double deck air ring with patented gauge profile controllers OPTIFIL P3K (OPTIFIL P3) for increased output.
Future Geared Control System
The W&H retrofit package also provides solutions to optimize the process control system of older VAREX blown film lines. The MMC* retrofit package boosts your production to make it ready for the future.
The MMC* retrofit packages provides:
- long-time spare parts availability ensuring future-geared system technology
- state-of-the-art CAN bus technology with B&R controllers
- extended touchscreen functions for increased ease of operation, with graphic
representation of all parameters
- reproducible process data
- overall line monitoring
- increased effective up-time
- planning reliability
By retrofitting your “old” system with the latest software and hardware automation elements from the VAREX module package you are sure to turn it into a state-of-the-art system incorporating the latest innovations.
By the way: Converting RMOS-IPC to Windows™ APC is another alternative.
*) MMC stands for Siemens Multi Micro Computer